For many, the process of getting a mortgage is hellish; hellishly complicated, hellishly costly and hellishly outdated. At Habito, we’re changing that. We believe people shouldn’t have to go through hell to get a mortgage.
Since our launch in 2016, we have made it our mission to fundamentally change the way people finance their homes. Whether buying for the first time, remortgaging, moving house or buying as an investment, we have developed an award-winning service that puts our customers back in the driving seat, giving them greater control over their finances. We deliver industry-leading expert advice in real time, cutting edge AI-driven technology that gives them access to the best possible deals, plain English conversations and absolutely no fees whatsoever.
We’re enormously proud of what we’ve achieved. Together, our 100-strong team has built great things to bring this mission to life. We’ve won numerous industry awards for our innovation, our talent and our service. And our enviable roster of backers is testament to that hard work and vision: to date, we have raised £27.5million in funding from some of the biggest names in FinTech – Atomico, TransferWise, Funding Circle, Mosaic Ventures and Ribbit Capital.
Most importantly, we’ve helped more than 155,000 people get the mortgage they deserve. Our proudest achievement yet is the love we get from our customers, borne out by consistently excellent Trustpilot reviews from more than 1,500 happy homeowners.
But our work never stops. The landscape continues to evolve and, because we believe in financial products that put the customer’s interests first by design, we have ambitious plans to continue innovating, improving and disrupting in this space. As our business scales up, to extend beyond brokerage and insurance into becoming a mortgage marketplace, our focus on pioneering product and best-in-class delivery is greater than ever.
Habito has already dramatically improved mortgage advice, and now we are going to transform the rest of the mortgage buying experience. Key to this transformation is the ability to think differently and design unique and customised solutions to all areas of the business.
The Compliance Lead will be part of the Group Risk team reporting to the VP Compliance & Operational Risk. You will lead a small team of Compliance Administrators tasked with ensuring our Mortgage Operations run in line with the firms agreed risk framework and regulatory obligations.
You will assess mortgage applications to ensure we intermediate responsible lending, provide robust adherence to our various partner mandates and risk appetites and, of course ensure fair customer outcomes of our mortgage advice and recommendations. All of this will will be delivered at pace, be fully transparent and provide an enjoyable customer experience.
The successful candidate will be able to combine their compliance and risk experience with the best technology and great teamwork to create a truly special process with great outcomes.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Working alongside the VP Compliance & Operational Risk to define the Compliance and Operational Risk strategy and to provide guidance and direction to the wider Habito team
- Monitoring company performance against our Conduct and Compliance Risk Statements/objectives
- Being responsible for the overview of 1st line of defence and ownership of the 2nd line of defence controls of the company’s Operations teams
- Providing technical advice and guidance to the Mortgage Expert and Case Management Operations team
- Working with the VP Compliance and Operational Risk to provide regular compliance reporting and management information to the Board and its sub committees
- Ensuring that conduct and compliance policies remain up to date and compliant with regulations
- Co-ordinating staff onboarding and ongoing CPD training
- Managing, maintaining and controlling mortgage file advice compliance issues
- Deputising for the VP Compliance & Operational Risk when required
- Providing line management support and direction for the Compliance Administrator/s
- Managing multiple tasks concurrently, prioritising appropriately and managing stakeholders
- Demonstrating a proactive, 'can-do’ attitude, outlook and be able to work under own initiative
- Sharing knowledge and specific feedback with Habito’s Brokerage Operations and the wider Risk team
- Extensive experience in a role that is solely focussed on regulation and conduct risk as described by the FCA handbook
- A broad understanding of the key concepts of Compliance and Risk metrics associated with the Mortgage Industry
- Ideally an ICA (or equivalent) qualification
- Extensive knowledge of the full end-to-end mortgage process
- Managed a team in previous roles
- Extensive UK Residential and Buy To Let mortgage knowledge/experience
- A strong understanding of the UK regulatory mortgage framework
- A proactive and confident approach and can contribute to the overall development of the Risk team
- The ability to comfortably handle change and is adaptable in fast-evolving environments
“The stated experience level is a guide and does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated”
- Competitive salary & share options
- Career development, coaching & training
- Free catered lunches, snacks & team bonding
- Free Healthcare & Life Assurance
- Contributory pension scheme
- Bi-weekly massages with Urban Massage
- Unlimited Holiday
- Cycle to Work Scheme