Senior Software Engineer
Launched in 2016, Habito is transforming the mortgage industry through innovation and cutting-edge technology. We are the UK's free online mortgage broker backed by Atomico, Ribbit Capital and Mosaic Ventures, with angel investors including Transferwise CEO Taavet Hinrikus, Funding Circle’s founder Samir Desai and Yuri Milner, influential tech investor.
We are building a great brand synonymous with great customer service, ease and transparency. Simple, fast and honest, coupled with no fees, and no misinformation.
Our team is super-smart, ambitious, collaborative and friendly. We work hard, play hard and learn fast. This is a great opportunity to help steer, shape and mould our business.
Are you excited? Come and make your home at Habito!
We are looking for a full-time senior software engineer to join our team of full-stack engineers. Our core development values are strong, static typing and correctness, rigorous automation (in both testing and infrastructure) and everyone having a say.
The stack: On the back end we have an HTTP API written in Haskell (and built using stack) with PostgreSQL serving as the persistence layer. All of our data is event sourced thanks to PostgreSQL's great support for relational and blob data (e.g. jsonb) and some in-house libraries for handling ES/CQRS in a type-safe (or what we believe to be, as far as possible) manner. We lean heavily on GHC and its extensions and are also using some of the bigger power-to-weight-ratio players like lens and conduit.
The front end is written in PureScript on top of React and Redux (the bindings to which are our own but are both quite thin and based on the design of purescript-react and later pux).
Infrastructure wise we are sitting atop AWS and using Docker to manage containment. Jenkins manages continuous integration and deployment using a combination of AWS' Java SDK and some management code written in Scala
While we're a technology company first and foremost, initially we're trying to make the UK mortgage brokering market a better place. This means building and maintaining our website, but it also involves a slurry of behind-the-scenes work integrating lenders, insurers, conveyancers and all the other players in the space as we seek to introduce robust automation into what is currently so many manual processes. Slack bots, job queues, working around the fact that some actors don't have APIs -- you'll get to handle it all!
- Work on our back-end software, written in Haskell and our front-end web applications, written in PureScript, HTML and CSS.
- Help maintain and extend our infrastructure, hosted in AWS using technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Use tools such as QuickCheck, Tasty and HUnit to produce reliable, well-tested software.
- Work with our product and design teams to produce customer-centric experiences that excite and delight.
- A passionate developer who cares about clean code and code quality; a full-stack polyglot
- An experienced engineer familiar with automated testing and deployment
- Experienced with functional programming and domain-driven design or simply interested and capable of learning on the job
- Someone who cares about UX and UI; you have a fundamental aversion to ugliness in product
And Finally …
- Competitive salary & share options
- Career development, coaching & training
- Free catered lunches, snacks & team bonding
- Bupa Healthcare & Life Assurance
- Contributory pension scheme
- Bi-weekly massages with Urban Massage
- Unlimited Holiday
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Childcare Vouchers