VP Compliance & Operational Risk
For many, the process of getting a mortgage is hellish; hellishly complicated, hellishly costly and hellishly outdated. At Habito, we’re changing that. We believe people shouldn’t have to go through hell to get a mortgage.
Since our launch in 2016, we have made it our mission to fundamentally change the way people finance their homes. Whether buying for the first time, remortgaging, moving house or buying as an investment, we have developed an award-winning service that puts our customers back in the driving seat, giving them greater control over their finances. We deliver industry-leading expert advice in real time, cutting edge AI-driven technology that gives them access to the best possible deals, plain English conversations and absolutely no fees whatsoever.
We’re enormously proud of what we’ve achieved. Together, our 100-strong team has built great things to bring this mission to life. We’ve won numerous industry awards for our innovation, our talent and our service. And our enviable roster of backers is testament to that hard work and vision: to date, we have raised £27.5million in funding from some of the biggest names in FinTech – Atomico, TransferWise, Funding Circle, Mosaic Ventures and Ribbit Capital.
Most importantly, we’ve helped more than 155,000 people get the mortgage they deserve. Our proudest achievement yet is the love we get from our customers, borne out by consistently excellent Trustpilot reviews from more than 1,500 happy homeowners.
But our work never stops. The landscape continues to evolve and, because we believe in financial products that put the customer’s interests first by design, we have ambitious plans to continue innovating, improving and disrupting in this space. As our business scales up, to extend beyond brokerage and insurance into becoming a mortgage marketplace, our focus on pioneering product and best-in-class delivery is greater than ever.
Habito has already dramatically improved mortgage advice, and now we are going to transform the rest of the mortgage buying experience. Key to this transformation is the ability to think differently and design unique and customised solutions to every area of the business, including risk and compliance where the challenge is to allow for compliant transformation and innovation within the agreed risk appetite of the business.
For this to happen, we need a VP Compliance & Operational Risk who combines a deep knowledge of relevant regulation and compliance best practice with proven experience in effectively supporting the commercial objectives of the business. The Risk & Compliance team need to be seen as proactive facilitators and business partners.
The VP Compliance & Operational Risk will be part of the Group Risk & Compliance team reporting to the Chief Risk Officer (CRO). They will lead a team of experts in compliance and operational risk to ensure all of Habito (the business, our customers and employees, and our partners) are trained and aware, and able to focus on getting the job done in a secure, fun and compliant environment.
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Working closely with the CRO and team on strategic direction and tactical execution across the core areas of compliance and operational risk
- Developing close working relationships with key areas of the business to identify risks and implement effective controls, including but not limited to the Credit Risk, Operations, Engineering & Product, Finance, Marketing, Legal, Recruitment and People teams
- Developing and maintaining strong working relationships with relevant industry regulators, advisers and other 3rd parties
- Constantly researching and reviewing wider industry developments, specifically but not limited to regulatory and industry insights, to ensure Habito is consistently up to date and pioneering in our approach
- Supporting the development and maintenance of the company risk appetite statement
- Owning and leading regularly scheduled Risk & Compliance Committees to ensure executive management are fully engaged and aware of the business performance in all areas of Risk & Compliance and following up on actions from these meetings
- Ensuring accurate and appropriate reporting and tracking is in place across all areas of responsibility
- Completing all required external and internal reporting to stated deadlines
- Developing and maintaining a regular communications programme to ensure all stakeholders are fully trained and aware of relevant risks and related requirements and responsibilities
- Leading a team of subject matter experts to build a best practice Compliance & Operational Risk function, ensuring ongoing personal development and high levels of employee satisfaction, whilst delivering the highest standard of output
The successful candidate will:
- Have a deep knowledge of FCA and PRA regulatory requirements, preferably in a mortgage-related environment
- Have demonstrated significant and recent experience identifying, implementing and maintaining a compliance programme in a relevant financial services institution
- Understand the core elements of operational risk and have some experience identifying and mitigating against such risks
- Have a strong understanding of the key concepts of compliance and risk metrics associated with the mortgage industry
- Have an analytical mind and be able to comfortably work with and derive insight from data
- Ideally, have an ICA (or equivalent) qualification
- Possess a working knowledge of the full end-to-end mortgage process and the UK residential and buy-to-let mortgage markets
- Be able to demonstrate successful leadership and team development in previous roles
- Be comfortable and have demonstrated experience working with executive leadership
- Be naturally proactive and curious, and comfortable handling change in fast-evolving environments
*The stated experience level is a guide and does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated
- Competitive salary & share options
- Career development, coaching & training
- Free catered lunches, snacks & team bonding
- Free Healthcare & Life Assurance
- Contributory pension scheme
- Bi-weekly massages with Urban Massage
- Unlimited Holiday
- Cycle to Work Scheme